Friday, April 11, 2014

1965 Caravan of Stars - Fall Tour


Peter and Gordon once again headline this Caravan unit, toruing for five weeks in August and September.  Dick Clark had signed British talent Tom Jones and Van Morrison's Them for this unit but Them cancelled out at the last minute.  Instead, he turned to CAlifornia folk-rock group the Turtles to replace them.  The Turtles didn't join the Caravan until it had been on the road for a couple of weeks.





 

8/3/65 Raleigh Co. Armory, Beckley, WVA

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice



 

8/5/65  Memorial Auditorium, Greenville, SC

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/9/65 Memorial Auditorium, Raleigh, NC

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

  
8/14/65 Convention Hall, Conneaut Lake Park, OH

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/15/1965  Civic Center, Charleston, WVA

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Jive Five, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/16/65 National Guard Armory, Sandusky, OH


Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/17-18/1965  Arie Crown Theatre, Chicago, IL

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

 
8/23/65  Tiger Stadium, Hopkinsville, KY

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/25/65    City Auditorium, Atlanta, GA

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/25/65  Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/26/65 Coliseum, Florence, AL

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/27/1965 Coliseum, Ohio State Fair, Columbus, OH

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 

8/   /1965   Akron, OH

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 
8/29/1965 Memorial Stadium Terra Haute, IN

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice




8/31/1965 Onondaga Co. War Memorial, Syracuse, NY

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 
8/?/1965  Steel Pier, Atlantic City, NJ

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 
9/2/65 Bushnell Auditorium, Hartford, CT

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 
9/9/65 Boys Club Auditorium, Pittsfield, MA

Talent: Peter & Gordon, Tom Jones, Turtles, Shirelles, Ronnie Dove, Mel Carter, Brian Hyland, Billy Joe Royal, Jimmy Ford & Executives, Jimmy Rice, Timothy Rice

 
 This final show was cancelled when Peter and Gordon made other bookings that conflicted with this date.

8 comments:

  1. Terry Kath (on Bass Guitar), and Walter Parazaider ( on Sax, Woodwinds), joined up with Jimmy Ford & The Executives prior to this tour. This was a "Key" element, of the 2 "Original" co-founding members of the group CTA / Chicago , , , that led to the formation of their famous band. (Note; in the above photo of Peter & Gordon, Terry Kath can be seen, in between them, playing Bass Guitar)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi:

    I am the owner of the original 8 X 10 glossy of the Peter & Gordon photo that you have used. It has been passed around since I first published it on Facebook six years ago. I don't mind it being used as long as credit for its source is given. I can provide a second photo that includes Tom Jones under the same condition. Email me at james.m.owston@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I tried to email you to that address, but it wouldn't go through. I would like to ask you a question about that photo, can you email me at maitaitiki@gmail.com? Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This tour with Peter & Gordon, et al., played in Chattanooga, TN at Memorial Auditorium. I will try to find the date. I covered the concert for the Chattanooga News-Free Press, and have photos and a copy of my published interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We attended a date in this tour at Memorial Hall, Springfield, Ohio. Date unknown. I can't swear to all of the lineup, but I KNOW Tom Jones and the Shirelles. I do not remember seeing the rest of the acts - after you saw Tom Jones dance, all else was forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Tom Jones stole the show. I've still not seen anyone dance like that. I think he invented twerking! I remember the Shirelles and maybe Billy Jo Royal...

      Delete
  5. Thank you for posting this information. My brother took me to the show when I was 15. I did not know the date or exact location until today. This is going in my scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I attended a concert with these same acts on Catalina Island, Avalon California on July 3, 1965. It was at the Casino Ballroom and seemed spontaneous, as I do not recall knowing who would be there until we got there. No seats were set up, and we grabbed chairs, and I ended up front row center, before a small round stage. It was a special memory for me, my first concert. I remember the names of these acts well, and thinking back, they sang live, but had no backup musicians, so they must have used backup recordings. Jackie DeShannon was smaller than I expected. Mel Carter came up and held hands with my friend when he sang. Peter Asher had white pancake makeup and red spots were visible under it. The crystals wore long flowing colorful chiffon dresses. Brian Hyland played his guitar, Paul Peterson sang, “She can’t find her keys”, and afterwards there were fireworks outside. I always wanted a poster or program to remember this concert, or anything written to document it. I became a professional musician in my 30’s. Anyone else remember this July 3rd, 1965 rock and roll concert or know any other resources for more information?

    ReplyDelete